Sunday, May 12, 2013

Squeaker


Squeaker is a first person narrative story from a cats point of view.  This story describes the moment of a cat chasing a mouse and what it is thinking the entire time.  I think that this story is humorous because you never actually get to hear the point of view from a cat, and this allows you to.           
Squeaker
           I’ve always loved just laying down.  I don’t care where it is, I don’t care who it pisses off, I just like to be comfortable.  Maybe its that shady spot on the carpet one day, or maybe the sunny spot on the couch the other day.  Where ever it is I don’t really care as long as I can snooze.
            But you wanna know the problem with napping in open areas?  There always seems to be somebody who wants to touch me.  I mean, come on.  I’m hot.  But sometimes I just want to be able to lie in my sunny corner of the couch and take a long nap.  But no, instead I get to hear the baby voice from a grown adult come on, and then all of a sudden I’m in the air.  They think coddling me is going to get me happy, but instead I just grumble to myself.  They take this as a sign of happiness and keep rubbing my stomach, which to be honest isn’t that bad but I like to complain. 
            Finally after what seems like years they finally put me back down on the couch but by that point my warm spot is gone, so I decide to leave.  I hear little sounds of munching up ahead of me and decide to go check it out.  Right there before my eyes was a little tiny brown thing, it made my mouth water just looking at it.  Its tail twitched as it sensed my presence.
            The little brown mouse turned its head in my direction.  I watched as its eyes grew bigger, once it figured out what was behind it.
            “Oh no,” the thing squeaked.  God I hate squeakers.  And just like that it was off.  Up and down the hall I chased it, my claws grabbing into the carpet.  I saw a wall coming up and thought to myself, “This is it, I’m gonna get it.”  But turns out the little bugger was a lot smarter than I gave it credit for.  It went around the wall and ran down into a bigger room. 
            “You’ll never get me,” it squealed.
            “Oh yes I will, “ I yelled back.
            The squeaker ran through out the room, but I had it trapped. It ran under the bed, through the pillows and towards the closet.  Stupid mistake.  I chased the squeaker into the closet where I backed it into a wall. 
            Cowering into the wall the squeaker said, “Please don’t eat me I have a family and I need to be with them.”
            “Should have thought about that before you came into my house,” I replied.
            “Please…” It cried.
            As I got closer to it, it trembled in fear.  I knew that I couldn’t eat it but I could scare it a little.  So right as I was putting my mouth around its neck, I heard the squeaker scream and I knew that I had scared it enough.  I picked it up lightly and walked with it in my mouth.
            Walking down the stairs, I heard my owners talking in the kitchen and decided that was there I was going to bring it. 
            “What are you doing with me?” It squeaked loudly.
            “Shut up,” I grumbled in my throat.
            Finally I reached my owners, where I rubbed up against their legs, because it was the only thing that I could reach.  I dropped the mouse at their feet and walked away.  It had been a very tiresome day and I decided I wanted to go back to sleep.  Once I was a few feet away I heard my woman owner screech in fear, this made me smile.  Damn, it was good to be a cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment