Thursday, May 23, 2013

Tradition


Tradition is a memoir about a certain time in my life.  This memoir is a vignette.  Tradition shows a moment in my life, that explains me as a person but also tells you about one of my favorite things/feelings in the world.

Tradition


            I feel my mom squeezing my hand with her soft hands, and I hear her say, "You ready Kay?" I nod my head and stare out of the window that is next to me. Mom always gives me the window seat so I can see out. This is our tradition. Sitting in my seat with my belt pulled tight, I watch as my mom pulls the crisp laminated piece of paper out of the pocket in front of her. "Where are all of the exits?" She asks. I point at each one, and then look at her waiting for the nod of approval that I know I will get.  Mom puts the paper back in the pocket and then sits back in her seat and looks at me, smiling so big.  “Here we go,” she says.
            I hear the engine start up and look out of the window. I watch the landscape slowly change as the airplane moves across the ground. I feel my heart start to beat fast and I clench my tiny fingers around my mom’s strong hand. Finally I see the plane has reached the runway. I lean even closer to the window until my nose touches the cold glass. My breath fogs up the window, but I quickly wipe it away.
            The plane starts gaining speed and I watch as the world seems to move in a fast forward motion. That's when I feel it. No longer are the tires running along the ground. We are lifting off.  I feel mom squeeze my hand, once, twice, three times.   The city is growing smaller and smaller with each passing second.  I see the cars on the freeway grow into ants and I watch people become invisible.  I love this part, when you’re flying so high that it seems like nothing can hurt you.  The pressure in my ears is building but I know what to do. I open my mouth in a huge yawn and settle back into my seat. This is going to be a long flight.

No comments:

Post a Comment