Wednesday, May 22, 2013

The Third-Floor Bedroom

The Third Floor Bedroom is a piece that I started writing in my creative writing class, but then revised and finished outside of the class.This was a piece of writing that we based off of a picture that our teacher let us choose.  This is a story from 1rst person view.

                                     The Third-Floor Bedroom
                My family has always called me insane.  They kept me hidden way from others, locked high above where no one else could find me.  I had two sisters who watched me like I was the most dangerous person in the world, and a mother and father who were scared of their own daughter.  When I was younger things weren’t always likes this.  I used to sleep in the same room as my sisters, where they would tuck me into bed every night.  My mom used to sit me on her lap where she would braid my hair and give me kisses on my cheeks.  Things used to be different, things used to be normal.  Maybe it all started when I started talking to myself.  Or maybe, just maybe it all began when someone left the window open.
                                                                              ________

                I was six years old the first time my sister Kelsey left the third-floor bedroom window open.  It had been a hot summer night and we didn’t have air conditioning.  I decided to sleep upstairs to keep cool, but Kelsey and Riley didn’t want to stay with me.  As I watched my sisters leave the room, I saw something flutter in my peripheral vision.  Turning my head quickly the word wait flew from my lips. 
                “What is it baby doll?” my sister Riley asked.
                “I saw- I saw, I saw something,” I stuttered in reply.
                “It’s just the breeze,” Kelsey said, “Just remember to close the window before you fall asleep, wouldn’t want the boogey man to get you.”
                The girls giggled together as they walked back downstairs not realizing that they were about to lose their sister forever.              

                                                                           __________

                I was always seeing things that I shouldn’t.  I would tell my mom that I saw a tiny person sitting on a flower, or I saw an old man who needed our help.  But she never saw them.  I was the only one in my family who was special. The night that my sisters left my alone in the third floor bedroom, was the night that everything changed.
                I was lying in bed staring out the window up at the sky when I saw something in the corner of my eye.  It had wings and what looked like long hair.  Sitting up in bed I squinted my eyes trying to get a closer look but it just made the object get fuzzier.  The little thing was sitting on the window and seemed to be looking at me.  I climbed out of bed and over to the window to look at even closer.  I didn’t want to scare it so I moved as slowly as I could.  Finally I got so close to it, that I could see that it wasn’t just an object, it was a little person.
                The little person with wings on its back looked at me and turned its head sideways, in a questioning look.  I reached out to touch it but it jumped back. 
                “What are you?”  I whispered.
                “I am whatever you want me to be,” it whispered back to me.  I felt my eyes get huge with surprise that it had actually spoken to me. 
                From there my story stays about the same.  I saw things that others didn’t and I never hid it.  Who knows, maybe I am crazy, but I am okay with it.  I’ve got things that talks to me that others can’t even imagine exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment