Tuesday, May 28, 2013

The First Conversation


The First Conversation is a one act play that I wrote in my creative writing class.  It shows the beginning of a relationship being formed.  This was one of the hardest pieces I have ever written.

The First Conversation

Act 1 Scene 1

There is a brightly lit room, with the sun shining through the window.  A teenage girl lies on her blue bed with her phone in her hand.  It is completely silent in the room, as the girl, Sammy stares at her phone.

The sound of ringing ruins the sound of complete silence.

SAMMY: (Smiles at her phone, and presses answer.)  Hey there.

LUKE: Hey yourself. (Voice comes from the phone, but you don’t see his face.)

SAMMY:  What are you doing? (Rolls onto her stomach, with her feet hanging off of her bed.)

LUKE: Just looking at you.  You look really good right now. (Said in a quick and quiet voice.)

SAMMY: What’d you say?

LUKE: Nothing.

SAMMY: No, come on tell me.

LUKE: I didn’t say anything don’t know what you are talking about. (Said with a yawn.)

SAMMY: I’m going to hang up if you don’t tell me.

LUKE: No you won’t.

SAMMY: Wanna bet? Just tell me.

LUKE: You won’t do it.

SAMMY: (Gives Luke a smile while simultaneously pressing end on her phone.)

Act 1 Scene 2

Same setting.  Sammy is now sitting with her back up against the plain white wall, waiting for Luke to call her back.  She holds her phone in both hands staring at it intently.  The phone rings and she smiles, but quickly erases the smile from her face when she presses answer.

SAMMY:  I wasn’t kidding.

LUKE: I see that now.

SAMMY: So are you going to tell me what you said? (She goes to run her fingers through her hair but then remembers it’s in a bun and pretends to fix it.)

LUKE: I said… (Voice travels off and then stops.)

SAMMY: Just tell me it can’t be that big of a deal.

LUKE: (In a loud and yelling voice) I said you looked really good right now.

SAMMY: Oh, (blushes) I don’t but thanks.  See not that big of a deal.

LUKE: Uh yeah ya do.

SAMMY: My hairs in a bun and I don’t have any make up on, yeah I probably look fantastic right now.

LUKE: You do.

SAMMY: (Shaking her head and smiling, she slides down onto her bed so she is laying down with her head resting on a pillow, putting the phone in her right hand, holding it in front of her face.)  Thanks.

LUKE: (Starts singing “Best I Ever Had” by Drake.)  Sweat pants, hair tied, chillin' with no make-up on. That's when you're the prettiest, I hope that you don't take it wrong.

SAMMY: (Starts laughing) Noooooo, but okay.

LUKE: See, right there, that.

SAMMY: What?

LUKE: Don’t move.

SAMMY: What are you talking about?

LUKE: Perfect. (Luke whispers) Completely perfect.

SAMMY: What are you talking about? (She asks in a completely exasperated voice.)

LUKE: You, you look absolutely perfect.

SAMMY: (Shakes her head, her smile gets even bigger.)  Thanks. (Says softly.)

LUKE: (Goes back to singing “Best I Ever Had”.)

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha no this is really great it kept me hooked and I loved it. "Best I ever had" lol

    ReplyDelete